Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Week of 10/20/08

I am writing this on Tuesday...so we have eaten the meals up to now, hence the comments from me. My Mom always said to make sure you have lots of color on your plate to make it pretty and interesting - so that is what I am going for.



Monday - Oven baked Bar-B-Q Chicken (you can take the girl out of the South, but you can't take the South out of the girl), green beans, mashed potatoes (my children's favorite food), and smashed acorn squash (I added a touch of maple syrup.)



Tuesday - My ratatouille experiment and brown rice. I love traditional ratatouille, but I am not super fond of eggplant. I didn't have zucchini either. So, I used green peppers, yellow squash, tomatoes, onion, garlic, mushrooms and kale. It turned out very well. The children didn't care for the green peppers, but liked everything else. I love brown rice. Buy the short brown rice. Yes, it takes 50 minutes to cook, but oh, so worth it. It turns out sticky, like sushi rice.



Wednesday - Salmon Cakes, quinoa, sliced tomatoes and broccoli



Thursday - Black beans and rice...again the sticky brown kind. We like to add chopped tomatoes, onions, fresh cilantro, avocado, sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese and salsa. This is one of our favorites for sure!



Friday - Pizza of the week - either homemade or from Papa Murphy's....usually one gourmet vegetarian and one mushroom.

No comments: